Father's Day 2013
Samantha and Daddy headed to the Carnibal.. a small little town up on Lake Ontario that has a bunch of rides & carnival shops, foods, etc. We took both kids last year around Labor Day... and Samantha and Daddy got to have a little one-on-one time.
I fed Andrew and put him down for his nap. (Hoping for a long one...)
And I got to work on my father's day cake for Daddy.
I wanted to do something that he likes .. He loves gardening.. and I was looking for a good garden cake, but most of them I either didn't like, or they looked really really involved.. which I don't have time for these days ...So then we were in Lowe's last week getting some garden supplies and I came across a cupcake book, inside was a "Compost Cake"... and I immediately whipped out my iphone, and snapped a few pics.. Perfect
I started with a plain chocolate cake.
I baked 2 cakes (just split the batter up)... in a 6 inch round wilton cake pan.
After they cooled, I cut them up and shaved off about 1/2 inch.. I didnt want the cake to be taller than the pretzels that I would use for my compost "fence"... (keep reading)
From there I put one layer on a plate and frosted it with cool whip, and then added some crushed Oreos to what would be the middle layer.
On went the 2nd layer
Repeat frosting the top layer.
I started assembling the "fence" that would hold the compost in, with Rold Gold Honey Wheat Pretzels.
After the entire cake was fenced in.. I added some crushed Oreos to the middle to act as the "dirt"
Here are the toppings I chose.
Dried Bananas, Gummy Worms, Fruit Slices (trimmed for effect), Green Tinted Coconut Flakes (Lettuce), & a leftover SpongeBob "Crabby Patty" Gummy sandwich.
I just played around and buried the candies until it looked the way I wanted.
I also added some crushed cookies on the outside, and had some worms crawling around.
I used some bakers twine to hold the whole thing together, and then made a "Compost" sign
He cracked up.. and really enjoyed it after our Steak Dinner on the grill
We had a good father's day, and I don't know how I could do the job of Mommy without an amazing partner, friend, and amazing Daddy.












I'm SO using this for our cake walk. The kids will love it!
ReplyDelete